History of Lindal & Marton
|A village community at the heart of Furness|
St Peter's Church
St Peter's Church is in the Diocese of Carlisle and is in the Low Furness Group of churches. All are assured of a warm welcome at St Peter's.
Visit the church website: Pennington Lindal Bardsea Churches
A short history
Until 1872 Lindal & Marton had been part of the parish of Dalton-in-Furness. Our present parish was created on 9th August 1872. The Rev John Park was licensed on 26th November 1872 as the first incumbent of Lindal with Marton. He was succeeded on 16th May 1874 by the Rev L O Lewis.
An iron church was built in the field now occupied by School Terrace, and opened for public worship on the 12th September 1875. It accommodated 300 people, but was probably only regarded as a temporary building.
The site for the present church was provided by the Duke of Buccleuch. The foundation stone was laid on 11th July 1885 by Mrs Wadham of Millwood and her daughter Winifred. The cost of construction was £3,600. The new building, given the name of St Peter, was consecrated and opened on 8th July 1886 by the Rt Rev Harvey Goodwin.
For further information on the history of the church, see the History page.
Rural Deanery of Furness