History of Lindal & Marton

A village community at the heart of Furness


Parish Council

Marian Winterton's Memories of Lindal

The articles on this page were provided by Marian Winterton, whose family previously lived in Lindal. Marian now lives in Normanville, Aignerville, France.

TIP: Please click on each photo to see a larger version.

Photo Album

I thought you might be interested to see these photos from an old album of my Grandmother's. She lived in Lindal around 1901 to 1911, firstly in Lindal Cote with her Grandmother Jane High. My Great Grandfather Thomas Storey had returned from South Africa with his wife Alice and his two daughters Jessie (my grandmother) and her younger sister May, who later died and is buried in Pennington Cemetery.

The first photograph is obviously the Church - my Grandfather was very involved with the choir and was presented with a large wall clock for his work; the clock still survives today and works. The second photograph is a mystery. Looks like a village affair, my grandmother is kneeling bottom left corner and I would estimate her age at about 10 years of age. They probably lived in East View by this time and she was friendly with my Grandfather Thomas McDowell who lived with his mother and step father Margaret and William Wells in Railway Terrace. My Grandfather was Head Boy at Ulverston Grammar School and my Grandmother due to ill health went to a private school in Dalton. They met each day at the station and I think my Grandfather delivered milk too. My Grandfather joined the Merchant Navy and it was not until they were well into their 20s that they married in Liverpool and moved to London. During the WW2 my Grandmother bought a house in Norfolk and moved the children, Alan, my father, Audrie and new baby Ian there to escape the bombing.

My Grandfather worked mostly in Scotland as an Engineer on the railways, it being in his blood from his stepfather being involved in the railway at Lindal. My father remembers visiting Lindal with his sister. He was probably about 8 and his sister two years his junior. They would come up to stay with family friends, being put on the train and told to get off at Lindal and someone would be there to meet them - a daunting prospect in this day and age. My father came up to school for a while and he remembers that he was the only one to be wearing long trousers and shoes. Every other boy wore short trousers and clogs.

I have visited and walked around Lindal about 8 years ago and just loved it - my favourite section is the Green and its houses surrounding it. Lindal holds lots of memories for my family and I feel endeared to it. I was so impressed with Lindal village that when I came back to France I named my house "Lindal House". We have no street numbers and the countryside is very similar to surrounding areas of Pennington and Lindal, so I feel very much at home in both places.


An interesting presentation was made by the Vicar at the vestry meeting to an old and faithful servant, Mr. Tom Storey, previous to his departure with his wife and daughter for Buxton. On behalf of the congregation and fellow-choristers, Mr. Mather presented him with a chiming oak timepiece. The Vicar referred to the quiet, unassuming, but important, work done by Mr. Storey as sidesman, choirmaster and chorister for the past forty years; and although he would be much missed in Lindal, he had the good wishes of all for a prosperous and happy career in Buxton. Mr. G. Denney also spoke of Mr. Storey’s work and of his faithfulness to the church at all times. Mr. Storey made a suitable reply. At the close of the evening service on Sunday a farewell hymn was sung.

Extract from local newspaper - no date but around 1911.

Death of Mr W M Wells

Cutting from Newspaper dated Saturday, October 14, 1933


Last of the Trio concerned passes on

It is with regret, we have to announce the passing in his 88th year at the home of his son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. G.T. Wells, Granger House, St. Bees, after a fortnight’s illness, of Mr. William Wells, who for upwards of 40 years was employed at Lindal-in-Furness on the old Furness Railway as shunter and signalman. Two years ago Mr. Wells lost his third wife after a short illness and afterwards he broke up his house and went to reside at St. Bees. The interment took place at the old twelfth-century Priory Church of St. Bees, where he was reverently interred in the grave of Mr. G.T. Well’s late brother-in-law, Mr. John Middleton, of St. Bees. Although having only resided at St. Bees for two years the late Mr. W. Wells made many friends in the Cumberland village and his passing was signalised when he was borne to his last resting place by members of the staff of the old Furness Railway Company, now LMS as follows: Mr. C. Helm, signalman, Sellafield; Mr. F. Garnett, signalman, Nethertown; Mr. J. Middleton, porter-signalman, St. Bees, all in uniform. While the following members of the permanent way department also bore: Mr. T.A. Wilson, ganger and Mr. H. Pennington, Nethertown length; Mr. L Irving, St. Bees length; and Mr. E. Slinger, a member of the St. Bees Priory churchwardens. As the coffin, borne shoulder high from the house to the church wended its way through the village, many blinds were drawn as a tribute.

Included in the many present were Mr. G.T. Wells and Mrs. A. Paul (son and daughter); Mr. & Mrs. G. A. Wells and daughter (nephew & nieces) Sparkbridge, Ulverston; Mrs. G.T. Wells (daughter-in-law); Maggie and Madge from Whitehaven; Mr.& Mrs. Woods, Ulverston; Mr. Jackson, stationmaster, St. Bees; Mr. M.E. Mason, former stationmaster at St. Bees; Mr. T. M. McKay quarry owner, St. Bees; and many others.

There were many beautiful floral tributes in addition to the family tribute, was one from his friend and workmates of Railway Row, Lindal-in-Furness. At the close of the service the hymn by request “The Day Thou gavest Lord is Ended” was feeling rendered by the congregation and as the cortege left the church the organist played the Dead March in “Saul”.

The passing of Mr. William Wells recalls the subsidence on the railway at Lindal Bank, in September, on Ulverston Market day in 1892. On the particular morning Mr. Wells was shunter-in-charge of an engine No. 115, driven by Mr. Postlethwaite, with Mr. J. Robinson as fireman, when the subsidence occurred and the engine plunged headlong into a large hole under ground on Lindal Bank. With difficulty the tender was recovered, and then the engine took a final plunge and was never again located. The driver and fireman have since passed away, and now with the passing of Mr. Wells the trio of that eventful Thursdays morning in 1892, have joined the great majority. During his lifetime at Lindal-in-Furness, Mr. Wells became associated with different organisations. He along with Mr. W. Wilson, goods guard, was joint secretary of the Furness Railway coupling contest. At one time he was hon. Secretary of the Lindal Moor brass band of which he was also a regular playing member. He was also connected with various social happenings in the village life, and throughout was a devoted member of the Dalton in Furness Primitive Methodist Church movement. He leaves three sons and three daughters to mourn their loss.

[Go to Memories]