History of Lindal & Marton
|A village community at the heart of Furness|
Furness and District Year Books 1882 & 1936
The following are extracts from Furness and District Yearbooks for years 1882 and 1936. The yearbooks contain information about Furness towns and villages, including churches, schools, clubs, and directories of inhabitants together with their occupations and home addresses.
Forms the third ecclesiastical district of the parish of Dalton. It has an area of 1,166 statute acres, with a population of 1,146, and embraces within its limits the two villages of Lindal and Marton. The former is built round a small tarn, which is now being gradually filled up. The name is compounded of the Celtic word lin, a deep pool or pond, and the Saxon dahl, a dale or valley, and signifies the lake in the valley. Lindal is situated in the midst of the iron ore mines of the district, and presents a very uninviting appearance from the perpetually recurring evidences of the ferreous oxide. The population of the village has slightly decreased of late years. The School was built in 1854, and further enlarged in 1860, by Messrs. Harrison, Ainslie, & Co., proprietors of many of the neighbouring mines, and by whom it is also liberally supported. There are two departments, attended by 291 children. An iron Church, dedicated to St. Peter, with accommodation for 300, was erected in 1875. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £188, in the patronage of five trustees. The present incumbent is the Rev. L. O. Lewis. This iron building will shortly be replaced by a stone structure, erected by the Duke of Buccleuch and Messrs. Harrison, Ainslie, & Co. The incumbent resides at Lindal Mount, which was presented to the living as a parsonage by the owners. The foundation stone of the Wesleyan Chapel was laid in 1871, by J. Ormandy, Esq., of Ulverston. There is no resident minister; it is supplied from Ulverston. Christian Meeting House, a neat stone building, was erected in 1875. In the village of Marton is a Wesleyan Chapel, the foundation stone of which was laid on Christmas Day, 1866.
St. Peter’s Church, Lindal-with-Marton, was erected in 1885, the foundation stone being laid by Mrs. Wadham, and opened in 1886. It is a stone building in the geometric decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and bell turret, with spire above the chancel arch. There is seating accommodation for 300 persons. The organ was erected in 1915, partly owing to the munificence of the late Andrew Carnegie. The baptismal and marriage registers date from 1872. The living is a vicarage, with residence, in the gift of five trustees. The present vicar since 1927 is Rev. John Joseph Jackson, M.A., London. The hymn book is A. and M. The services are: Holy Communion, 8 a.m., on the first and third Sundays, and also after morning service, second and fourth Sundays; Morning Prayer at 11 a.m.; Evening Prayer at 6 p.m.; Children’s Service 1.45 p.m., on important festivals.
Methodist Church. – Minister, Rev. Edwin Standfast, the Manse, Church Walk, Ulverston. Sunday Services, 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.; Sunday School 10.30 a.m. and 1.45 p.m. Week-night Services alternate Tuesday at 7 p.m.
Methodist Church, Marton. – Minister, Rev. Roland Hind, B.A., Wesley Manse, Dalton. Sunday Service, 6 p.m.; Sunday School 2 p.m. Week-night Services monthly, at 7.0 p.m. on Tuesdays.
Church of Christ. – Sundays, 2.30 and 6.0 p.m.
“Buccleuch” Hall. – Caretaker, Mrs. G. Johnson, London Road.
Post Office. – Deliveries: 7.15 a.m. and 4.40 p.m.; despatches 10.15 a.m. and 7.15 p.m. Mr. Seth Barker, Postmaster.
Liberal Club. – Secretary, A. Rigg.
Lindal Moor Cricket and Tennis Club. – Secretary, T. Lindow, Ulverston Road, Lindal.
Reading Room. – Caretaker, Mrs. Walker, London Road.
Marton Institute. – Secretary, Mr. George Brewer, Bell Hill, Marton.
Low Furness Nursing Association (Lindal and Marton Branch). – Secretary, Rev. J. J. Jackson, M.A., The Vicarage.
Marton A.F.C. – Secretary, T. Rooney, 11, Fair View.