Iron Mining Photographs
TIP: Please click on each
photo to see a larger version.
Mineworkings around Lindal and Marton
These photographs are reproduced by kind permission of Paul Kelly.
Text on this page is summarised from 'The Red Earth' by Dave Kelly, ISBN
0-9534779-0-8, and 'The Iron Moor' by Alen McFadzean, ISBN 0-9512946-1-X.
Located in the Buccleuch Royalty (hence the B) on Lindal Moor, south of
Bell Hill Cottages. Operated by Harrison Ainslie & Company from 1881
(approx) to 1914. This was a very large pit, and was the main production
pit on Lindal Moor. The shaft serviced most of the surrounding pit
workings, including some in the Muncaster Royalty. The photo shows Furness
Railway four-plank ore wagons, marked 'FR' on their sides. There are
several other wagons and ore tubs on narrow gauge tracks.
One of many smaller pits in the area around the B30 Pit. Operated from
1860s (approx). Closed in 1914 as the shaft was collapsing. The photo
shows several narrow gauge wagons and ore tubs.
Located in the Whitriggs area, west of Church Farm. Operated by the
Barrow Haematite Steel Company from 1885 (approx) to 1914 (approx). Taken
over by North Lonsdale Iron & Steel Company in 1917, and finally
abandoned in 1924. This was a large pit that had frequent problems with
No 2 Pit
Located east of Lindal Cote, pits in the Bercune area were operated by
the Ulverston Mining Company from 1838 to 1878. The Bercune mine was then
operated by the Wigan Coal & Iron Company until 1902, and finally by
Harrison Ainslie and Company until 1914 when the mine was closed. Bercune
No 1 Pit was 495 feet deep and Bercune No 2 Pit was 300 feet deep. The
mine was electrified in 1907 and the pumping system upgraded.
Diamond Pit was within the Muncaster Royalty, and was located south of
Whinfield, east of the current Lindal Cricket Club. Operated by Harrison
Ainslie & Company. This was the main water-pumping pit in the Royalty.
It was 612 feet deep. The pumping arrangements were electrified and
upgraded in 1907.
No 4 Pit
Located in the Lowfield area of Lord Muncaster's Pennington Estate,
close to the junction of Green Lane and the A590. Mines in the Lowfield
area were operated by the Parkside Mining Company from 1864 to 1892. The
No 4 Pit was unusual because the shaft ran at a 43 degree angle. The lease
was taken over by Harrison Ainslie and Company in 1892, who installed a
very large water-pump. Lowfield was electrified in 1907 and the pumping
arrangements were upgraded again. At the time Lowfield was the company's
largest and deepest mine. The mine operated until 1914 when the company
went into liquidation.
at Nigel Pit
Nigel Pit was at Roanhead, and had two shafts. It operated from 1902 to
1942. Although not located in the Lindal and Marton area, this photo is included as it is one of only a few
showing miners working underground. In this photo the miners are using a
compressed air tool to break up the rock face.
[Go to History]