History of Lindal & Marton
|A village community at the heart of Furness|
Furness Railway British Rail History Covers
These covers were produced to commemorate significant events in the history of the Furness Railway. The text below each cover is from the original card insert accompanying the cover.
TIP: Please click on each photo to see a larger version.
Furness Railway Windermere Steamer Service Centenary
British Rail History series, Scotsman Cover Services reference BR2, postmarked 2nd September 1972.
In 1872 the steamer services operated on Windermere between Lakeside, Bowness and Ambleside were taken over by the Furness Railway, and a branch line was built from Ulverston through Greenodd and Haverthwaite to the Lakeside terminus adjacent to the steamer berth. The services were taken over by the LMS Railway at the grouping in 1923 and passed to British Rail on nationalisation in 1948; they are today operated as a unit of Sealink.
When the former Furness line to Lakeside was closed, a preservation group negotiated with B.R. for purchase of the whole branch from Ulverston. However, a new road is planned at Greenodd which will sever the branch, so the line from Haverthwaite to Lakeside has now been purchased. Since the line is not yet open to the public a special train was used to carry the covers over the line, consisting of an 0-4-0 diesel and brake van.
Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway Official Opening Ceremony
Preserved Locomotive series, Scotsman Cover Services reference PLS14, postmarked 2nd May 1973.
The Furness Railway opened the branch line from Ulverston (Plumpton Junction) to Lakeside at the southern end of Windermere on 1st June 1869. The line operated for almost 100 years; the last train running on 2nd September 1967 prior to closure by British Railways.
In 1967 the Lakeside Railway Society was formed to support the purchase and restoration of the branch line passenger service. However, improvements planned to the A590 trunk road near Greenod Station will sever the route to Plumpton Junction and has forced the abandonment of this scheme.
The Society has therefore concentrated its efforts on the 31/4 mile section between Haverthwaite and Lakeside. May 2nd 1973 sees the official opening of this route with a rolling stock of 7 steam and 2 diesel locomotives to operate the passenger service.
The locomotive on the cover was designed by C E Fairbairn in 1945 as a development of Sir William Stanier's very successful design of 1935. Leading Dimensions are: wheel diameter 5'9"; cylinders (2) 195/8" x 26"; boiler pressure 200 psi; weight 85 tons and tractive effort 24,670 lbs.
Furness Railway 130th Anniversary
British Rail History series, Scotsman Cover Services reference BR39, postmarked 12th August 1976.
The Furness Railway was the third oldest company to retain its identity at the 1923 grouping, being incorporated in May 1844 to run from Kirkby to Barrow with branches to Dalton and Rampside. The official opening took place on 12th August 1846 but Ulverston was not reached until 1854 due to engineering problems near Dalton. In September 1857 the Ulverston & Lancaster Railway was opened to give access to the West Coast main line, it was absorbed by the FR in 1862. Northwards the FR reached Broughton in 1848 where a terminus was made with the Whitehaven and Furness Railway in 1850. The Coniston branch was opened in June 1859 and steamer services on Lake Coniston started in 1860. The Lakeside branch opened in 1869 when FR steamers started on Lake Windermere (see BR2).
The FR had large maritime interests, operating boats from Roa Island to the Isle of Man and Belfast. The FR laid out huge docks in an attempt to make Barrow a world trade centre and provided the Town Hall, offices, school, gas works and most services and amenities. It was absorbed into the LMSR in 1923. Loco No. 3, nicknamed "Coppernob", was one of the first four locos for the line; designed by Edward Bury they were brought from Fleetwood on tug-boats because of the line's isolation. She is preserved at the National Railway Museum at York.